Wednesday, February 22, 2006

South Park




South Park follows the adventures of four little boys, Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny. Unlike most TV children, these kids were actually a lot like real children.

This is a gem of the show, and a significant element of its ongoing appeal. Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny weren't cute, precocious, smart, well-behaved or even likable much of the time. They were foul-mouthed, cruel-to-their-peers, badly behaved delinquents who nevertheless had good hearts underneath it all (except Cartman).

Stan is Everyman, the most normal of the kids, terrorized by his sister Shelley and misunderstood by his parents.
Hi, my name is Stan Marsh. First I had better introduce you to my family. My parents are Randy and Sharon Marsh, and I have a big sister called Shelly who is a real pain in the pipe and a Grandpa who calls me Billy and wants me to kill him off. Then there is my Uncle Jimbo - I'm not sure if he is really related but that's what I call him - who runs the gunstore. He hangs out with an old buddy from 'Nam called Ned Gerblosky who plays the cancer kazoo. My best friends are Kyle Broflovsky and Kenny McCormick and we all hang out with that lardbutt Cartman. We go to South Park Elementary School where we are taught by Mr Garrison and Mr Hat (though sometimes it's Mr Twig). Other kids in the class include Pip, Craig, Tweek, Clyde, Butters, Bebe and Wendy Testaburger. Wendy and I sometimes share a quiet moment together out by Stark's Pond. I always feel a bit queasy when we are together though...

Kyle is a conscience-stricken Jewish boy with a lot of issues, stemming from his domineering mother.
Hi, My name is Kyle Broflovsky. My family is Jewish, which means that I get to have lots of special holidays on top of Christmas and Easter, and go to Jew Scouts where we make soap sculptures and macaroni pictures and eat carrot cake. My mom is called Sheila and my dad is called Jerry - he is a lawyer. I also have a little brother called Ike who looks like a football and is obviously Canadian. My best friends are Stan Marsh and Kenny McCormick and we go to school together with that buttwipe Cartman. The school is run by Principal Victoria and other members of staff include Mr Garrison (our class teacher who people say is gay) and Mr Mackey the school counsellor. The kids in my class are mostly OK apart from old lardbucket Cartman and this girl called Bebe who keeps giving me funny looksMy favourite TV show is Terrance and Phillip. My special friend, though, is Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo. with that buttwipe Cartman. The school is run by Principal Victoria and other members of staff include Mr Garrison (our class teacher who people say is gay) and Mr Mackey the school counsellor. The kids in my class are mostly OK apart from old lardbucket Cartman and this girl called Bebe who keeps giving me funny looks. My favourite TV show is Terrance and Phillip. My special friend, though, is Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo.

Eric Theodore Cartman, probably the most entertaining cartoon character ever made has a very detailed personality. Not only is he the master of disguises but also carefree and nonchalant at most times. He loves making fun of his friends especially Kyle, his Jewish friend. Least said Cartman appears to be racist and incensitive to other cultures and races. Carman is egocentric and thinks the world revolves around him; he quotes,"Screw you guys I'm going home!" whenever his are in trouble.
fat kid syndrome" but always puts it off saying he's big-boned. Cartman quotes, "I am a little American boy and I live in a little mountain town called South Park. My best friends are Clyde Frog and Rumpletunskin and Polly Pissypants and they sometimes all come around to my house for a Tea Party and tell me how smart and cool I am and how it must be so much nicer to be me than to be a pov like Kenny or a hippie like Stan or a fecalphiliac like Kyle. My favourite TV shows are Terrance and Phillip and Fat Abbot and the Cheesy Poofs commercial and cop shows and that dude who hunts down wild animals and jams his thumb in their bu@#h%@# and I like war movies and films about the wild wild west (but not that Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding hippie crap)."


Then there's Kenny. Kenny's parents are poor, and he himself eternally wears an orange jumpsuit that muffles every word coming out of his mouth. Oh yeah, and he dies. In every episode, Kenny dies, and the next week, he's back good as new (with a few notable exceptions). It's a ritual. Kenny meets horrific death week after week, prompting Stan to say, "Oh my God, they killed Kenny!" and Kyle to follow up with, "You bastards!" Despite how this reads in an article, it's actually insanely funny. Every time.

No comments: