Monday, October 10, 2005

The Night It Rained And We Danced To Dandiya Beats!!!


Its all about the night it rained in bangalore but in personal terms was flooding my heart with evils verses against the weather since it was a night of "golden opportunity" for me as quoted by my friend.But then all settled when finally I and my friend decided to go to dandiya taking a brave front against rain and traffic. We decided to goto "The Place" called Majestic, and I promised myself to explore the possibilities and all which comes but to my surprise I met one pretty girl through my friend and really didnt/couldnt take off my attention from her whole night. So with that all exploration came to sudden halt for the whole night. But hell we are discussing dandiya here not my exploration.

To start with I would make a impressive statement "gone are the days when these festival was a family or a community affair in which a group of ladies sang the garba and group of guys flirted with them and danced around a picture of the goddess Durga". Yeah you are allowed to flirt a bit in the name of tradition and its cool. But in a city where fun part has swayed lately there is a population of likeminded people who are hell bent on stemming the rot and preserving the cultural heritage dandiya in the name of fun .Ideally, two circles formed by men and women move in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions with two sticks called dandiyas held in their hands. This playful dance provides ample opportunity for acting and exchanging messages through eye contact. Hates off to Dandiya And Garba Dances.

Ok now with the information about Dandiya and Garba I can move forward in personal terms. So We gotto "Majestic" and parked our car and got into the venue where once again I had to digest the fact that I am the guy deprived of privilages jus 'coz I am guy damn. Guys were charged 150 bucks and Girls 50 bucks. Those who can apply logic and explain me the reason be my guest!!

So finally getting all drenched and all I met the "ORACLE GROUP" of guys and pretty ladies. It was really nice knowing these chirpy and colorful group but it was more heart warming to see my tradition and cultural and to see so many unknown faces with cool gujju dresses. Hey even we had one guy with chunri and girl in blue dress in our group dressed up for the night.And Also I came across a confident ever smiling "bacchi" with cool height and model like figure only to find out in the end that she is working with my friend.

But in the night of chaos nobody followed the rules and to add to our fear factor the live music was pathetic. Infact when I was excited about getting in front of speaker, they played the saddest music I heard in recent months and I dedicated it to my friend which made me happy to an extent. So after jostling with unknown faces we decided to part away from the mainstream and have fun within ourself.

Their was this guy from "ORACLE GROUP" who was confusing everyone with his geometric configuration for dance and everyone was having get confused. Sure we had fun but I wonder. And then the pretty lady finally realized what was happening and surely it must have awakened her sense and memory that even she has studied geometry in school. So even she applied her brains to the geometric configuration for dance formation, and carrying the aura of "Gaddha Dhaari Bheem" ordered us to stand like that and there...which added to the more confusion. But I was standing alone jus left amused and gaping to the beauty of.....ahem ahem
But all settled we were finally set to have a blast with dandiya. And yes we did have fun since then it was more fun getting added every minute. We danced like anything sometimes like tribal of Africa, sometimes like the aborigines of Gujarat and more importantly didnt gave the damn to the others. By the end in fact I learnt few dance steps too which will come handy in future

Finally It was time to save all these sweet memories and leave the place with my friend getting little slimmer and trimmer. I won't forget this dandiya night since I know I won’t be able to repeat it with my friend and with the rain and with the confusion ever.


Now surely I have given you enough reason to dance the night away and do all the raas lila for next few days:)

No comments: